The assignment for Seaker was to come up with and then design a potential social networking app. We chose to create ours for the iPhone around the premise of finding people to do activities with in the real world.
For this project I interviewed and recorded a potential user in the market, edited a survey and combined the survey results. I ran a competitive analysis, created mood boards, created a persona of a potential user based on our survey and my interview data. Our team ran a brainstorming session to figure out the common threads in our individual analyses (with the big takeaway being security) and then whiteboard sessions to figure out potential app flows.
I created user flows for some of the main use cases of the app, and together we created a couple iterations of sketched and paper prototypes to figure out which ideas looked like they would work, then a basic interactive prototype using UXPin, and finally a more polished prototype using Wix.com. Finally, we created a 64 page design specification document for which we all wrote and edited, and I put together all of the graphics, which were screenshots of the prototype with callouts to each feature. The design spec listed out what each interactive element would do and where it would link to and which information would be pulled up when using searches.
Seaker is a social media app focused on the trust and security of the interactions. We used survey and interview data to direct our design and prototype process on how to best satisfy our users. We went into the project with the idea of making an app that would focus on the security of the interactions of the users and through our research we found that this was much more of a popular idea than we initially thought. Users of social apps almost always seek out groups first when they are first meeting with people that they haven't met before. An app or service that would allow people to be social and go out to events with new friends in a way that made them actually and mentally feel more safe would likely be quite successful.
We individually interviewed people, and I came up with quite a few useful takeaways from that. We also did market research to see what was out in the world already that might compete with our idea, which gave us ideas on features that were standard across social media apps, but also ideas for what kinds of features we did not see represented. We created user personas (in this case based on our interviewees) and mood boards which gave us further focus.